How To Stop Diarrhea


My contacts constantly forward emails to me whenever they find useful and beneficial health tips and information. One of these emails prompted me to write this article on “How to stop diarrhea”. The email gave information similar to what I already knew a long time ago as a small boy. So I am now more confident to share this valuable information with you.

When I was just a small boy I already knew how to stop diarrhea! And that was 50 years ago! You see, both my late parents were Chinese physicians, practising traditional Chinese medicines (TCM). How to stop diarrhea? Very easy and simple. My parents actually did not teach my how to stop diarrhea. I just overheard their instructions given to patients, and especially to the parents of sick babies and little children who came to consult my parents. I heard this simple instruction of how to stop diarrhea hundreds of times over, perhaps thousands of times over the years! You can view the legacies left behind by my late parents HERE.
Mediterranean Diet For Beginners: Fast and Easy Mediterranean Diet Cookbook and Home Recipes for Weight Loss

Danger of diarrhea
(By the way, the term can be spelt “diarrhea” or “diarrhoea”.)
Diarrhea if being prolonged, can cause dehydration and even death especially in babies and little children. So it is most important that we know how to stop diarrhea as fast as possible. As you know diarrhea is a condition where the person suffers from almost continual discharge of loose, watery stools. Over a prolonged period, the person may suffer from dehydration. Apart from the loss of body fluid, the person also loses important minerals called electrolytes which are essential for normal body functions. So it is very important that the person drinks plenty of liquid to replace the lost fluids. Plain water is not the best fluid to drink during diarrhea. The better fluids to drink are tea, chicken soup, ginger ale, soda, and isotonic drinks. Pure coconut water is best.

Treatment to stop diarrhea : rice water
This brings us to the treatment to stop diarrhea which I learned from my parents. The magic potion is rice water. Quickly drink plenty of rice water.

Here is the recipe:
Since there is no exact instruction, this is the best I can come out with.
1. Half a cup of rice (about 125ml), slightly rinse with clean water.
2. Put rice in a large pot.
3. Add 2 liters of water into the pot, and put to boil. Occasionally stir the rice so that it won't stick on the pot.
4. Continue boiling at medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes. The rice need not be fully cooked. The rice water should appear very diluted and not starchy. If starchy, then it is too thick and more water should be added until it is watery.
5. Discard or just separate the rice from the water. It is only the rice water that we want.
6. For quick cooling, place pot on a basin filled with ice cubes.

Dosage direction:
The effectiveness of drinking the rice water is to ensure the liquid reaches every part of the digestive system, from the stomach to the full length of the intestine. It is therefore essential that the patient drinks plenty of the rice water, as much as is possible; and as frequently as possible.

What an unfrotunate coincidence
Today,September 14, 2012, is two days after I published this article. What an unfortunate opportunity for me to personally experiment with drinking rice water. I had a mild diarrhea this morning. So I prepared the rice water. I drank a big mug in the late morning. It's now evening and so far so good. I did not go to the toilet since my first trip in the morning.

More information about this rice water to stop diarrhea
Apparently more than 30 years ago in 1981, a Singaporean paediatrician Professor Wong Hock Boon from the National University of Singapore had already successfully used the rice water treatment to rehydrate babies. Many babies who did not respond well with other conventional rehydration solutions, responded favorably with the rice water treatment. From internet searches, Professor Wong had written the article “Rice water in treatment of infantile gastroenteritis” in the British Scientific Journal, The Lancet 1981, Vol 2 : 102-103. However I could not find the article in the internet.

One explanation for the effectiveness of rice water is that the starch-like sugars tend to draw less fluid out of the body compared with simple sugar like glucose. Another possibility is that the diluted rice water is able to quickly penetrate every part of the digestive system and into the full length of the intestine, thereby preventing further diarrhea.
While on this topic of how to stop diarrhea, you may like to read my other article on another related subject about "Natural cure for loose stool".
There is another common bowel problem of the urge to go to the toilet immediately having done it. You may like read my article on "Benefits of noni juice".

DISCLAIMER
The information provided in this article is sourced from the internet, from friends and contacts, and from personal experience. As I cautioned in my article, not every remedy will work on everyone. So is conventional medical treatment. It very much depends on the constituents of the person and the conditions peculiar to that person. Whatever the reasons, this article does not claim the information provided is totally accurate and reliable and will cure everyone. The purpose of this article is merely to inform visitors that there are alternative cures for all ailments.
You are therefore advised to consult your registered medical physicians as a matter of due diligence.
Article Source:Hubpages

Comments